From:
Paula Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 10:54:58 +1200
Hi Stephen,

**Apologies for the long post**

I have worked with both DM5 and DM6 as a user/administrator and
implementer.  Version 6 is very much like version 5, but with some added
new features.  The next release (release date not yet known) commonly
referred to as DMX or Next Generation Desktop is likely to be quite
different as the roadmap for Hummingbird and Livelink is to effectively
work towards merging the products, so that the functionality of
hummingbird is merged with the interface of Livelink (please correct me
if I've got that the wrong way around!)  Both DM5 and DM6 rely on their
validated lists to bring back things like document types, and document
states.  From a discussion I have had with colleagues over here it seems
that the product may become more visual so instead of the document type
field on your profile form, you may well get an icon at the side of a
Word document icon for a set of minutes, you will get an icon for
minutes.

You can manage your paper files through hummingbird in version 5&6 with
the RM module and create 'physical files' and physical documents which
are tagged in the system so that users can see that hard copy material
exists, and are then directed to the physical location of that file for
retrieval.  If you are barcoding your files then you can also integrate
that into hummingbird.  The benefit is that you then have all of your
documents available, and able to be searched from one place and because
its one system you aren't going to have the issues of integration and
interfaces and upgrading one and then breaking the other.

Depending on how long you have had the system in place, it may be time
to review the functionality of both systems and talk to your users or
user reps and get an idea for the bits they like, the bits they don't
like and the bits of the DM that they are scared of.  Assess what you
need to have, what you would like to have, and what would be cool to
have, then make your decision.  You must include the users or they will
not use the system and if they are happy with FileSurf you need to sell
to them the reasons why you are recommending the change.

The usability of the system is, to a certain degree down to the way that
you design and implement it.  Having said that, one of my favourite
features of hummingbird is the workspaces function, where you can set up
a 'case' workspace, link all the documents in, share them with other
partners and almost create a mini structure that's meaningful for you as
an individual user without having to trawl through your fileplan.  Once
that case or issue has been dealt with, you can get rid of the workspace
but the documents are protected in their files, and have all of the
audit history available (always a plus for lawyers!)

Finally, my advice would be to talk to a third party implementer rather
than the vendor directly.  Implementation partners will often have
additional information, suggestions and other sites that can be used to
talk through and even visit.  Ask them for reference sites where people
are using the physical file management capabilities and talk to them
directly.

There is also a yahoo group called DOCSLIST which is full of hummingbird
users, implementation partners, administrators etc so you might find it
useful to join that group.  You can often get some support tips free of
charge aswell :)

Hope this helps.
Paula

Paula J Smith, MSc,  BSc (Hons)