From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:31:14 -0400
Interesting to see the RMAA wiki - I hope it can develop.  The ARMA forum
has less activity than one might like, and if past debates are any
indicator, it is largely a factor of the success of Recmgmt-L.

We are developing learning content including a course specific to preparing
for the CRM exams. If there is a group of people preparing for the CRM exams
who want a space for collaboration, a frame for study, and some informal
insights (subject to time constraints!) we can provide that in advance of
the launch of certain courses.  We use a top-end LMS and depending on
numbers, we can support this gratis. Just let me know of any interest.

Why?  Well, here's my longish view...

1)In my experience,  many RIM practitioners work with but not "of"
management circles with result that knowledge of how management uses
information--and could better make use of information in circumstances not
generally revealed to those outside of management ranks--is not highly
developed or represented in associations where membership is overwhelmingly
not management.

2) There is a critical relationship between authentic, reliable records
managed in accord with their defined business value and their use in
evidence-based decision processes. That critical relationship extends to
any strategic initiatives that involve information resources (which don't?).
 However, the relationships are assumed, and are therefore invisible and
unconscious for the most part within workplace cultures, with inevitable
problems that are often attributed to anything BUT ineffective management of
records. This is seen even amid highly confidential knowledge intensive
processes and accuracy reliant businesses.

3) In Asia, the need is great.  RIM consciousness in general is 15 -/+ years
behind the times and, with very limited exceptions,  global corporations
report dependence on overseas HQ RIM programs, seeming to  "adjust
expectations" locally with a fatalistic conclusion of "cultural differences"
that continues the status quo and delays regional progress in global
business capability. It's not much help in developing the international RM
community, either.

IRM Strategies is my brain-child, designed to enable my partner and self to
engage interesting work with potential for meaningful outcomes. We are
trying to raise awareness of RIM and practical application in health,
construction, energy, education, hospitality, etc.  through education
(teaching at the University of Hong Kong and the HK Polytechnic University
and developing curriculum for KM in Healthcare for the University of
Victoria, Canada) but this seems not enough.

Developing understanding of RIM is not entirely sufficient to build
competencies in applying RIM to divergent purposes (e.g. risk/compliance
management on the one hand and grounding knowledge, innovation and
management of intellectual capital on the other).  We believe that RIM is
fundamental to these concepts, and that practical application of emerging
economic theories needs a solid understanding of RIM and its potential,
through application, to affect organizational outcomes.

I have this corny notion that CRMs can make a real difference (yes, many who
are not CRMs also make a difference - no flames please).

Look at the issues around the world today and we see that transparency in
governance, integrity in decision making processes, courage in ethics are
critical elements in every aspect of human interaction. Our systems have
evolved beyond the face-to-face trust bond to other means of finding
certainty and trust in our relationships spread across the globe.  Reliable,
authentic, trustWORTHY records is what it is all about.  Reliable,
authentic, trustWORTHY professionals are similarly necessary.

Our conceptual model in knowledge resource management (KRM) will shortly be
published in the International Journal for Learning and Intellectual
Capital. We ground KRM in the marriage of human and recorded information
resources and take it from the conceptualization of business models through
data collection, information and records management, balancing knowledge for
risk, compliance and innovation, through to intellectual capital
assessment--the valuation of the intangibles that represent the significant
difference between corporate book value and market value today.  This topic
is growing on the world stage (was privileged again to attend meetings on
this at the World Bank a few weeks back) and records managers need to be a
part of it.  This philosophy underpins the book we're developing and we'd
value knowing if have interest in this arena.

This long pre-amble is by way of saying:  if interested in being a part of
this journey, let me know, and if you know of international project funding
for work in these areas, please pass that on.  We are also looking for
funding to support bringing the out-of-date Records and Information
Management Resource List back to life--but would value knowing whether
others think that is a worthy project.  Thoughts?

Regards,
John

John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT
Partner & Managing Director