From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:52:13 -0700
If you really wanted to do this, you'd develop a concise problem statement & an associated business requirements document. Remember the problem is to design an email client from scratch.

That said, Jesse brings up a great point about the AIIM email certificate program - there's a lot of functionality built into our current emails clients that we may or may not use. Becoming aware of the "hidden" tools within Outlook or Notes or whatever is a great start.

If I wanted to design from scratch, I would want a tool that indexes email for archiving as it is sent or received. It would be super to have your search tools built in and the ability to de-dup without a third party product. Intelligence and the ability to build taxonomies without intervention would be useful as well. Applying legal holds and notification along with retention schedules is another requirement.
Hmmm....long list maybe but you'd think there's enough innovation left in the world to do this. I mean gee Dyson redesigned the vacuum cleaner.

Rock on!
Sharon
Sharon Burnett
[log in to unmask] Washington USA "If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apartand see why."
List archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html