From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:09:19 +1000
William

Another plus is, the less photocopying you do, the less energy you use, so
fewer greenhouse gas emissions etc, and the less fumes and micro-particles
emitted in your work areas (a health and safety issue with all dry powder
copiers and printers), as shown in a Queensland University of technology
study:

QUT Press Release Date: 02 August 2007
Study reveals the dangers of printer pollution
The tiny particles emitted from some home or office laser printer are as
dangerous to human health as inhaling cigarette smoke, according to a new
study by Queensland University of Technology.
The study, which was conducted by Professor Lidia Morawska from QUT's
International Laboratory for Air Quality and Health, found that out of 62
laser printers tested, 17 were "high particle emitters".
Professor Morawska said these 17 printers were releasing potentially
dangerous levels of tiny toner-like material into the air.
The results of the study are being published in the latest edition of the
American Chemical Society's Environmental Science and Technology journal.
"Most of the particles detected in the study were ultrafine particles,"
Professor Morawska said. "Ultrafine particles are of most concern because
they can penetrate deep into the lungs where they can pose a significant
health threat.
"The health effects from inhaling ultrafine particles depend on particle
composition, but the results can range from respiratory irritation to more
severe illness such as cardiovascular problems or cancer."
Professor Morawska said the study, conducted in a large open-plan office
building, found indoor particle levels in the office air increased fivefold
during work hours due to printer use.
"Printers are a common device in both the home and office environment," she
said.
"However, they are a potential source of indoor pollutants producing
volatile organic compounds and ozone, as well as particle emissions.
"This study showed that printers were the most significant source of
particle number concentrations in the office building."
Professor Morawska said in general the study found that printers emitted
more particles when the toner cartridge was new, and when printing graphics
and images as they require greater quantities of toner.
"It appears that there are large differences in the emission levels between
different types of printers," she said.
"Many factors, such as printer model, printer age, cartridge model and
cartridge age may affect the particle emission process."
Professor Morawska said the study highlighted a need for governments to
regulate particle emissions from laser printers.
"Governments regulate emission levels from outdoor devices such as vehicles,
power stations and factories, so why not for printers?" she said.
"Until something is done, I suggest that people ensure rooms in offices and
homes are well ventilated to allow the airborne particles to disperse."
Media contact - Sandra Hutchinson, QUT media officer, 07 3138 2130 or
Dowlnoladed from
http://www.news.qut.edu.au/cgi-bin/WebObjects/News.woa/wa/goNewsPage?newsEventID=134952
August 07

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.