From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:44:22 -0500
I don't know anything about the quality of the program.  To apply records
management concepts within a Sharepoint environment requires more than
setting up the Records Center site template.  I saw Tina Torres and a
product lead from Microsoft introduce the functionality at the Cohasset MER
conference in 2006 so I know it should work assuming it can be set up as
demonstrated.  The challenge may be more getting from here to there.  Just
like anything in Records Management, there has to be planning and the
knowledge of how to bring multiple components together.

I guess the only thing I might say is that the knowledge of how to bring the
many things together to use the records management functionality in
SharePoint isn't as obvious as they could make it.  I do still believe it is
very useful functionality when rolled out well.  It won't give anyone a
ready-made records management program.  All the typical components of a good
inclusive inventory, comprehensively-considered retention thought and in the
case of Sharepoint, a well-thought out, intentional rollout too.

The thing that concerns me most is there don't seem to be a lot of
consultants who have enough or any experience beyond setting up the Records
Center Site Template.  I haven't researched the market well enough to
support that statement, but the little bit I have done has shown consultants
who hear Records Management as a buzz word, but who may not be as adept at
genuinely creating a solid rollout and functionality with SharePoint.

I think it will come in time.  I am just looking for the early adopters,
those on the leading (bleeding?) edge!