From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:12:27 -0400
In my line of work I often protect records of great value to a
corporation or a government entity and in some cases private owners
of historical documents.

I am currently involved in a project to protect a privately owned
copy of the Declaration of Independence. I have worked with this
owner, Tom Lingenfelter to develop  a tour across the country to show
the rarest of documents in public exhibition spaces. I have suggested
that ARMA Chapters ecome involved as loca co-spnsors of the tour as
it is an excellent case studt in records protection, the first
serious attempts to image originals and the concept of redundancy to
protect an original document.

Only two Anastatic copies of the Declaration are known to have been
made.  They are a far clearer image of the original than even the
original.  The original engrossed copy was displayed on a wall in the
U.S. Patent Office for years and years with sunlight fading it and
with new conjecture that the anastatic copying process further
damaged the original.

Only two anastatic copies exist, that we know of, one of which is in
Independence Hall in their Archive and as yet never publicly
displayed, and the Lingenfelter copy. Currently the NYC Chapter is
playing a leading role in coordinating the first public viewing.

Imagine, if you will, this document arriving in NYC and the local
Chapter hosting a kick off cocktail party where ARMA RM's introduce
this copy to the Press, interview with local newspapers about the
significance of the document and a public panel discussion about the
relevance of records management, its role in protecting vital
records, different methodologies, (redundancy, imaging, vaulting and
records management to protect the chain of custody) and the laws that
control the development of records management. All done in an
educational forum with Press coverage and records managers as the
star in this proposed educational forum. (I did not come upwith this
idea so I can't take credit for the Forum idea. Fred Grevin and the
NYC Chapter developed this idea.

But what positive publicity? What high level exposure?  Even the tie
into the role of records in a financial crisis to develop
accountability?  The imagination soars at the possibilities.

We are still in development of the tour but I hope to have a tour
that visits NYC. Boston, Texas, Washington, Nevada, Indiana and a few
other large markets to promote records management and the
significance of this document and all records in our society.  I have
a small PowerPoint about the development of copies of the Declaration
(Dunlap Broadsides, the Stone Engraved copies, the engrossed copy and
the anastatic copies) and some photos of this document and if you
would like to view them and talk about the potential of your Chapter
becoming involved in the cross country tour come by the FIRELOCK
booth or we could talk at the Listserve Party.

If I can pull off this successful tour and promotion of records
managers and records management in general, this will be my thank you
to all of you for the years of advice guidance.  I can never repay
the kindness of Larry Medina, Peter Kurilecz, Fred Grevin, Alan
Andolsen, Ginny Jones, Sharon Kunz, Bruce White and many others who
have helped me understand the role of records management in the world
of industry and government.  Thank you.

If you would like to read more about this document, here is a link to
an article:

http://www.firelock.com/article17.htm

My brother Terry passed away of cancer this last July so I am going
to be lonely in the booth so come by.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134