Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:05:09 -0700
Quoting David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>:

> Another major difference of importance to records managers is the
> status of faculty and the records they create.  By tradition research
> records generated by faculty belong to the faculty members rather
> than the institutions that employ them.  This also holds true for
> documentation faculty create to support their teaching efforts.  If
> Professor Jones moves from the University of Texas to the University
> of Kansas she will in most cases be taking her research documentation
> and projects with her. When he she retires it will often be her
> choice as to where she wishes to place her "papers" or she may if she
> wishes retain them on her own or have them shred.

Be careful on this one folks.  At the public university I work for the
research
records are the property of the Board of Regents not the faculty.  If
they want
to take copies with them that's fine but the rest stays.  Obviously,
the RM can
only control what is in storage at the records center.  If the records are in
the lab or elsewhere the RM cannot control.  This is really a Provost
issue and
that should be made clear upon hiring.  You can bet your bippie if a patent
grows out of research at your institution someone from the administration is
going to be looking for those records and asking why you don't have them.

If clinical drug trials are part of the research then HIPPIE rules may
come into
play and the carting off of medical records (and exposure to third parties)
might be a totally different and nasty problem.  Depneds on what the patients
were told and agreed to but are you going to get to look at the contracts and
make that decision?  I don't think so.

Usually faculty lecture notes and such are deemed the property of the faculty
BUT if the faculty member develops a software package to deliver instructional
content and it is marketable, then those profit sharing contracts they
all sign
are going to pop into play.  I find it best to hand this stuff of to the
attorneys for resolution.  Dick King, University of Arizona