From:
"Wilson, Jeffery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:21:58 -0500
Hi all,
Now that we are on the records of birth certificates, I was in foster
care too, my original birth certificate said "given name added from a
supplemental report". I did not know my mothers name or my last name
until I was 14yrs old when I was moved from my elderly foster parents to
a group home. I was suppose to have access to my records when I turned
21 but they refused to give them too me. It took me 19 years after I
turned 21 to receive my records. Finally found my mother, she is
deceased 3yrs before I found her. I was in New York, and she was in
California. Under her original name and If these records was released to
me I could have met my family. Now I am still searching, but not as
hard. That is where my passion for records come from. I believe from my
own experience that records could be adjusted with a notation, or in my
case a supplemental report.

Jeffrey Wilson, Grants Analyst
NYC Department of Records
31 Chambers Street, Room 105
New York, NY 10007
Telephone: 212-788-8571
Fax:  718-935-6459
Email: [log in to unmask]

All of the records we're discussing have to do with the historical need
to keep track of property and inheritance - think England 5-600 years
ago.  The use and existence of these records is a legal construct, along
the lines of recording marriages and divorces.  We no longer have
primogeniture and the limbo-like existence of illegitimate children, but
it nonetheless helps with property claims to have records of births,
parents, etc.  When a person is adopted, the relationship with the birth
parents is officially declared nonexistent.  It never was.  The adoptive
parents are and legally always were the only parents.  The courts can
rewrite history in some circumstances, adoption and annulment among
them.  The rationale for the transgender changes as well as (in part)
the adoption changes is protection of the privacy of the individuals
involved.  If we were, as a society, more comfortable with adoption and
gender reassignment we probably wouldn't feel the need to protect
privacy in those instances because there would be no shame attached.
We're not there yet.  Think of how we don't release the names of sexual
assault victims.

Our relationships are "verified" by the legal system, no matter how much
we may think of them as personal.  And that which gives can take away -
names, birthplaces, parents, etc.  Records are as permanent as the law
needs them to be.

Margie

Margaret M. deMarteleire

HR/FLSA Analyst