From:
Cindy Zuvich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:09:01 -0800
Indeed!  Well said.

Cindy Zuvich, CRM
Tel: 310-748-2438

From: Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: A Place for Records/Information Managers
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 5:03 PM

Time for Records Managers to embrace their inner corporate governance
selves.

In order to "get to the table" where the budget funds are, records
managers need to come to grips with the fact that they will have to
learn to manage IT groups, conduct risk management assessments and cost
analysis, analyze/re-engineer processes (to be programmed by the
computer software engineers), and just generally adapt to the needs of
the corporation in additional to their current skill sets.  My company
may not always think that my records management skills are as important
as sales, but they have been shocked by how well I have been able to
retool how they gather information and make that more efficient, more
cost effective, and help them close a sale in less time by collecting
only what is needed and spending less time in the back room filing.  The
only way to get invited to the table is to add value to the bottom line.

I expected our profession to eventually become more automated, so I
pushed hard to figure out how to contribute to the general revenue
generating strategy.  I learned audit skills sets and the art of
measuring risks and studying projects for feasibility and return on
investment, performing cost analysis, re-engineering business processes,
and mapping out data everywhere it flows through an IT system, file
cabinet, cardboard box, or other media.  I just now completed my
Certified Enterprise IT Governance Professional qualification, but when
paired up with a CRM and a Certified Information Systems Auditor, I am a
more complete package when it comes to risk management and information
governance.  My CRM is even more valuable than ever now because I can
bring that element to the IT table and continue to make a unique
contribution.

Today, I am confident that I am relevant, knowledgeable, and continuing
to make a significant contribution to my company's bottom line.  I want
to be making the decisions about software choices instead of "making
do"
with something that someone else wants.  I am well taken care of on that
point because I can speak the language and have the credentials to argue
my point well enough to influence the strategy or make the call.

I think that our profession is very important, but like any other
profession affected by technology, we are going to morph into something
new enabled by technology:  Auto mechanics have become computer
technologists, nurses have become physician assistants, engineers no
longer use slide rules (at least, not much), and few farmers would care
to milk a cow by hand.

About 10 years ago, the Registered Records Administrators of the
American Medical Records Association changed their name and credential
to Registered Health Information Administrators of the American Health
Information Management Association just to realign socially with IT and
mark a milestone in the charge to acquire new skills sets.

Maybe the time has come to freshen up our skill sets and "repackage"
our
profession for visibility more successful marketing.

Have a nice evening everyone!!!