From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:53:44 -0800
Hugh Smith wrote:

> Tracking where records are kept is what Tiggers and Records Managers
> do best.  IT on the other hand is not totally dialed in on this.  The
> 99 days requirement will freak them out.  In fact to assure the court
> that a good faith effort is under way, typically and writing over of
> tapes is forbidden until the suit is resolved.  This leads to a
> significant volume of tape.  I could see a ruling that forbids
> deduplication with a judge that sees an opportunity to use technology
> to make things disappear.
>
> IT knows what they can do!  IT does not know what it can't do! That is
> why when a records managers says "You can't do this. It is illegal.
> Are you doing this?"  They answer I don't know?  (I'll have to think
> about this over the weekend to see what I just said.)
? the questions you ask are  probably 'where is that data being kept?'
and 'where are there copies or backups of this?" and 'how do you know
the tape has been erased?" and such.
Those are much harder questions than mere questions of versions and
patching of servers.
-make 'em sweat!
- better 'before' the audit than 'during' the audit (discovery)
cheers
Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen