From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:37:51 -0500
>IT Workers Read Your
>Personal Email and U.S. Law is Generally OK with T
>America is the land of the free, the brave, and the busybody;
>Indeed, much of the world is surprised by the lack of privacy in the
>U.S., especially in the workplace where few corporations grant any
>privacy rights to their employees.

I think this is to be expected, especially in the workplace. Think about it-
the hardware, software, and network you're using all belong to the employer.
 You are likely granted some right for incidental use of the systems during
the course of the work day, but for their own protection and for security
reasons, employers need to perform random checks of use and content on the
system.

I doubt the intent is to scour everything written in e-mail for pleasure,
but it's more a case of a search for certain terms and/or keywords that may
be harmful to the business, such as foul language, commercial terms,
security issues, etc.  After all, the e-mail messages DO CARRY the
employer's domain name.

Here's an example of what comes up on the screen when we sign on to our
computer system daily:

"This is a XXXX computer system and is the property of XXXX. It is for
authorized use only. Users (authorized or unauthorized) have no explicit or
implicit expectation of privacy. Any or all uses of this system and all
files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied,
audited, inspected, and disclosed to authorized site, XXXX, and law
enforcement personnel, as well as authorized officials of others, both
domestic and foreign. By using this system, the user consents to such
interception, monitoring, recording, copying, auditing, inspection, and
disclosure at the discretion of authorized site or XXXX personnel.
Unauthorized or improper use of this system may result in administrative
disciplinary action and civil and criminal penalties. By continuing to use
this system you indicate your awareness of and consent to these terms and
conditions of use. LOG OFF IMMEDIATELY if you do not agree to the conditions
stated in this warning."

I think in our case, use is clear and potential exposure of anything we
produce on the system to others is a given.

Larry