From:
Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 04:45:41 -0500
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:37:51 -0500, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think this is to be expected, especially in the workplace. Think about it-
>the hardware, software, and network you're using all belong to the employer.

I don't agree with this statement. Your employer owns the phone on your desk
but they don't have the right to listen to, or record your calls without
your knowledge or in most cases consent.

The reason that things are the way they are right now is that companies are
too cheap to train up young people and would rather keep paying the skilled
baby boomers to hang around for as long as humanly possible.

At some point the baby boomers will have to retire and they will be replaced
by a proportionately smaller pool of young people.

These young people will have high expectations of technology and the
leverage to demand that they be given access to everything from smart phones
to Facebook (or whatever is the craze at that point) just to consider
sharing their expertise with the employer.

The demise of the baby boomers will signal a huge shift in how the world
works, and when it happens it will happen quickly.

In Australia it is common to see police officers SMSing from their own
personal phones whilst on duty. One day you won't even be surprised to see
the guy collecting your trash with a blackberry.

Look at the generational change that has occurred in the US presidency. I
really didn't think it would happen this quick, but like it or not it is
happening.