From:
"Bass,Sheryl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:30:03 -0400
Peter, you hit the nail right on the head.  This problem was
precipitated by not having patrons fill out new apps, upon the renewal
of their cards every three years.  As a result, there are apps that
could definitely be discarded, but we don't have any way of knowing
which patrons are "active" without an immense amount of data entry and
staff time. Going forward, the plan is to have every patron fill out a
new app every three years.

The last 10-yrs have been a time of great expansion for us, but now that
we are retracting a bit due to the economy, RIM has become a problem
that nobody knew was a problem until it was a "PROBLEM". I'm sure this
is a fairly common situation.

I have an interest in Records Management.  I caught the bug in Library
School, and I'm really excited about developing a new records policy for
our library.  The State of Michigan has a General Retention Schedule for
Michigan Libraries, which will serve as a guideline for us to manage our
records more effectively.

If it proves that the equipment for scanning turns out to be cost
prohibitive, I'll be working on a way to better organize the records
that we do have for retrieval.