From:
Pilar McAdam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:13:52 -0800
Jesse - I think the article does make a point that's worth emphasizing.
About Google, the author says:

"Billions use their search. Tens of millions save files with Gmail.
They've got to know what's up, right?

That's exactly what the big cloud companies hope you will think.
Microsoft's general manager of Windows Live, Brian Hall, told me brand
recognition is the best way for people to compare services."

The implication is that users will assume the larger, more
recognizably-named providers are doing a better (more secure, reliable,
consistent) job of managing the cloud-stored assets.  But that's not
necessarily true.

While the analogy with "Fred-and-Ethel's records warehouse" has a degree
of validity, in the paper storage world there does tend to be better
standardization of services when you deal with larger national (or
international) providers.  Partially, this may be due to industry
organizations like ARMA and PRISM developing and applying standards.
Also, I think it reflects the relative maturity of that industry.
Although the internet has been around for a while, the infrastructure
around it keeps shifting, making it difficult (if not impossible) to
develop standardized approaches to things like storage.  (This is not
intended to reflect negatively -- or positively -- on any records
storage providers, large or small.  I'm making a sweeping
generalization, so expect that it won't be true universally.)

These are just my thoughts at this moment.  Keep in mind that I'm not
very technically savvy, and be gentle!

Pilar

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM
Director of Legal Information Systems
333 South Hope Street
43rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1448
Direct: 213.617.5417
Fax: 213.443.2703

Circular 230 Notice: In accordance with Treasury Regulations we notify you that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or in any attachments).

Attention: This message is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.
http://www.sheppardmullin.com/