From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:58:52 -0500
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Luciana Duranti
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Subscriptions would pay for the journal, but, as in the case of the ACA
> with Archivaria, ARMA could start with a grant from a research agency.
>  There are ways when there is the will.  ARMA is much richer than the ACA,
> SAA, SoA, etc.

first of all the grant is nothing more than seed money, it runs out after a
time and then the organization has to find a way to fund it. you say that
subscriptions would pay for the journal, well what is an appropriate amount
for the subscription? If there is no advertising to subsidize the cost i
cann't begin to imagine the cost of a subscription.

as for ARMA being 'richer' than the other organizations define 'richer'. yes
ARMA has a large membership base which would imply that it is richer, but I
suspect you are referring to revenue. That amount i don't know nor do I know
about the others, but if a refereed journal is going to increase the amount
that I pay in dues (out of my own pocket by the way) you can count me out.

 Blake wrote;
" I firmly believe that even as 2010 approaches, many
records managers who are members of this Listserv, ARMA and the ICRM are
still battling fundamental records management problems and challenges -
and if forced to prioritize their reading and research time will choose
to determine how they can address items of importance to their RIM
program."

and i agree if . years ago ARMA sold back issues of the RMQ on microfiche. i
regret never having taken the time to order a set. IF anything I would love
to see ARMA some how be able to publish the best articles from the old RMQ
in a pdf format. I have old copies and many of the articles in them are
still valid today. I like the fact that I can get current IMJ articles via
pdf

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va