From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 09:06:34 -0500
Good morning Earl--

We use Symbol scanners, the hardwired variety when working in close
proximity to our desks.The wired scanners are sometimes called wedge
scanners and cost about $100 new. They're rugged and very dependable.

We also use Symbol (now Motorola) wireless scanners when working away from
our desks (such as when auditing offices and storage spaces). Since we
just upgraded our RM platform to CA Records Manager, we also had to
upgrade our wireless scanners. Our 2 outgoing scanners by Palm Symbol are
being replaced by 2 Symbol PPT8800 Pocket PCs. Due to their cost -- with
cables and cradle a unit costs about $1800. We've experienced some
difficulty uploading data from the 8800 to CA Records Manager. Mind you,
the difficulty is really just a hiccup; they are very nice and are fun to
use.

I think it is important to stress that Glenn's explanation of the QA is
spot on. The wireless scanner is faster at scanning, but you will not know
of mistakes until after the data is uploaded. If the wireless scanner can
read the barcode, it will make a "good" beep sound, but it's not a
guarantee that your software can read/interpret the same barcode. We've
experienced situations where we've been (good) beeping away on hundreds of
records, only to find out after the upload that they were unreadable by
our RM system. Conversely, the hardwired wedge scanner transfers the
barcode data to the application immediately, improving QA but slowing the
process a bit.

If you plan to use specific software with the scanner, ask your software
vendor to recommend compatible makes and models.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.