From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:06:56 -0500
Nolene, with this type of document, I generally suggest the most concise main body possible, and then throw everything else (with as much detail as you like) into appendices.

So the main body functions almost entirely as introductory matter, while the appendices provide the encyclopedic content.

You want your audience to "get hooked" on the main body, and to use the appendices as definitive reference documents for specific issues. Call it the "harlequin romance + encyclopaedia" approach.

I would put all of your policies, SOPs, and information into the single document, so your users know exactly where to go for all matters relating to RIM.

The main problem with this approach is it requires very careful writing (and editing) of the main body. If you have a little money, it will pay to have a professional editor go over your draft.

I think your outline is just fine, so long as you leave the details for the appendices.

I expect others will offer different approaches, so this thread should become interesting.

Very best of luck!

Fred Grevin