From:
Marc Fresko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 04:47:18 -0400
James writes "All other things being equal, DoD and MoReq assist in separating
the wheat from the chaff, as it were.  They are the only functional guidelines
for RMA selection out there today in addition to YOUR own requirements."

I don't think the last clause, about 5015.2 and MoReq being the "only"
guidelines available is strictly correct.  I've identified about 20 other such
guideline specifications (the exact number depends on how you count versions
and so on), from a wide variety of sources: the International Council on
Archives (ICA), Brazil, Australia, Canada, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, The
Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Switzerland, New Zealand, Russia, UK and
USA.  All of them are downloadable from the MoReq Collateral website at
http://moreq2.eu/other-specifications. And most (but not all) are in English.

I would NOT advise practitioners to download all of them!  But some contain
useful ideas that are not present elsewhere.

This said, I agree with the substance of James' point that MoReq and 5015.2
are the most influential specifications; but readers in the USA may be
interested to note that the ICA document is increasingly visible, and dominant
in some countries.  Fortunately, the DLM Forum and the ICA agreed last month
to work together to ensure the compatibility and eventual convergence of the
MoReq and ICA documents in future.

Marc Fresko