From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 14:44:28 -0400
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 , Todd Johnson <[log in to unmask]> stated:

>I am in the process of preparing to do a Records Inventory. Yesterday I sent
>my inventory worksheet to a colleague on this list and he recommended
>adding fields to capture more of the processes and systems that create/store
>the records - the essence of a data map. I have conducted records
>inventories, but never created a "data map" per se. I'm wondering if anyone
>has gathered this data simultaneously or if you would recommend two distinct
>endeavors. I can send my RI worksheet to anyone who is willing to provide
>feedback on whether or not I have included the fields necessary for capturing
>the inventory and data map information.

Todd-

You might want to consider posting the RI worksheet to the files area in the
Yahoo Group  http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/RIM_Resources/

As for the basic question, I see these as distinct efforts serving different
purposes.  That said, there is no reason the inventory couldn't be augmented
to include additional information related to the fields pertinent to an ESI
Data Map.

Generally, and inventory is intended to identify "what", "how much" and
"where", and may include additional information such as which aspect of the
organization creates, receives or controls what resides in various
locations/repositories.  You may also include information about the
form/format of the information and the location itself [protection provided
(environmental and security), etc].

An inventory is performed for various reasons and once completed the data
can be reviewed, sliced and diced, and can be used for many things.  It can
be a basis for developing a retention schedule, determining if
organizational of functional models are best, assessing the potential for
centralized or offsite storage, evaluating the need to more closely review
and possibly disposition a portion of the information, etc. AND it would
involve both physical format source materials and electronic format.

A Data Map on the other hand generally is related to electronically
generated information only.  The principles applied to creating a 'data map'
could also be applied to physical materials but that's a little less common.
 The characteristics you are looking to identify here are sources, volume,
formats, users, access controls, time frames, processes (in and out,
including backup and replication or mirroring), storage locations, and
applications/systems related to the data.

Many times IT or Emergency Services has a basic structure of a data map that
may be used for COOP or business resumption efforts in the event of a
disaster.  Theirs should/could include sources of vital information, where
backups are located, sources of secondary sites (hot/warm/cold) for
operations, backup power sources, etc.  Naturally these would only identify
mission critical content and systems, but the DRP should include things such
as repository locations, applications/software, etc.

Larry