From:
Angie Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:35:27 -0600
If any alternate certification is accepted in lieu of a SAS-70 Audit,
then our Internal Audit gets to make the call on whether they are
comparable substitutes.  We would request copies of the audit report to
determine whether the criteria met our requirement for determining
whether the amount of residual risk was acceptable.

Personally speaking as a certified information systems auditor, an
SAS-70 does not relieve the vendor of any obligations, nor does it
release me from performance of due diligence.  It just helps me, as a
client, determine whether or not controls exist and have been certified
by an independent third party.  I have to review the audit work papers
or at least an audit findings report in order to determine whether I can
rely on the work performed as part of my vendor assessment.  However, I
always feel that additional independent testing should be performed by
me, the client, no matter how many awards, certifications, or audits the
vendor waves under my nose.