From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:06:50 -0500
I have tended to dismiss these kinds of stories in the past (they tend to come
from IT nerds with visions of a future utopia - apologies to IT nerds with their
feet on the ground).  But it's getting harder and harder to dismiss.  How soon
will it be common practice among companies in liltigation to use software to
perform ediscovery at 1/10th or 1/100th the cost of manual ediscovery, and
then for courts to accept that as a reasonable process?  Moore's law and the
law of supply and demand would suggest it's not that far off.

I remember RIM pioneer Bruce Miller in an ARMA session calling records auto-
categorization the "holy grail" of records management.  (He believed it was
only 2 years away - this was about 2004 or so - but with a smile admited that
he'd been believing that for 5 or 10 years.)  With technology like Watson
proving itself in the real world (if Jeopardy can be called the real world), are
these sorts of technologies in our near future?  Is the answer is yes, it raises
even bigger questions:

1. Will there be more RIM jobs to help administrate the software, or fewer jobs
due to automation?

2. For those with RIM jobs, what will they look like?

3. Will RIM still be similar to what it was 20 years earlier, or a completely new
paradigm?

Any thoughts?