From:
John Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:38:29 -0700
>Donna asked for best practice on filing minutes.  While I agree that by
date of the meeting seems to make the most sense - and seems to be what
most responders support, there is also the issue of how you as the
archivist receive these minutes.  I often receive >minutes as part of
the agenda packet for the next meeting, the meeting where those minutes
will be discussed and approved.  It does not seem right to remove them
from the agenda, so they are filed there, as received.

>Nothing is ever as simple as we might hope.

Barbara,

We have found the most effective way to file the approved minutes is by
meeting date, there is no confusion later concerning how the "official"
minutes are filed or located, the originals are then sent to our
archives after imaging as a separate record series . We also file the
copy of the minutes presented for approval with the agenda packet under
the item number that presented them, again as a separate record series.
In our case, even though the minutes are presented to Council for
approval, they are not final until after the meeting and they are signed
by the  Clerk.

The concern I see if filed by approval date is that they may not be
approved at the next meeting. I do agree that a copy should be retained
with the agenda packet, but only as part of the agenda and not the
"official" copy.

John Guthrie
City Clerk Records Manager
City of Oceanside