Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:07:53 -0700
My thoughts on the subject.  The recycler I send people to sorts the paper
and extracts things that shouldn't be there.  Not a lawyer, but I doubt they
could be sued if the CD/DVD's were tossed into a bin and/or tossed into the
garbage  without shredding.  No obligation to shred.   Now in a bin, they
could possible be re-used/re-formatted or read.   Risk low, but still not a
way to treat business records.

Like Peter K, I doubt the vendor would be happy to have the CD/DVD's going
through his shredder as it would dull the blades faster .... costly.

Robert W Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
253-229-4555

From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Peter Kurilecz
Peter said:

in my past I've set up and operated two successful paper recycling programs.
I learned more than one would want to know about the shredding and paper
recycling business. To willfully contaminate what the vendor is purchasing
from you could ultimately result in the vendor suing your employer. for
breach of contract. The price they pay you for your paper is based upon the
quality and quantity. The better the grade of paper (cardboard being the
highest grade) the higher the price. The business as PatrickC noted is very
competitive, there are at least 40 different grades of waste paper and the
market is just like for oil, gold, silver and other commodities. Your
shredding vendor buys from you and sells to someone else what they make is
the difference between what they pay you and what the get from the folks
they sell to pay them.
from this list, click the below link. If not already present, place
UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.