From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:03:55 -0500
Because I had been following the conversation on this thread, I posed the question this morning during my normal monthly call with our major storage/shred vendor (a company we are all very familiar with) because I was concerned that we might have been creating inadvertent problems.

In our circumstance (sometimes we have boxes stored which contain items such as tapes, diskettes, etc.) that we are unaware of (due to some historical practices), and we often have small quantities of such items in our offices which require secure shredding.  Our vendor confirmed again to me today, that for them, up to 10% of total weight in such media is acceptable and that we could continue our practice of placing these items in bins with our confidential paper.

Thus, my best advice is to discuss this matter with your chosen vendor to insure you are complying with their requirements.  But, based on my experience, there are instances where this does not create an unacceptable risk to the vendor and certainly simplifies the processes at your work place.

Mary Hilliard, CRM