From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:55:11 -0400
Kelly:

Is this a technology question, a governance question or both?  I can't answer in terms technology but on the theoretical governance and other aspects I would say the following.

As we all know a record is a record and regardless of how it may be categorized (organized) or classified (levels of security access applied by the company, organization, what have you) it still must be dispositioned according to the retention schedule (or, if held for some reason once the hold is removed and the retention period has expired).

Beyond that I believe that other rules and processes can go on around and happen to the records.  As a records manager, I may be the custodian of materials that I can not view, but by metadata, etc., or the fact that the box is on the shelf in my records center I know they exist.

As we can do these tasks in the paper world, I believe there are ways to architect this in the digital world.  You might not be able to view the content, but you should be able to hold it and delete/destroy it.

Just my conceptual view.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
www.twitter.com/tchernik

PS - Have not looked at it, but IIRC all these things can happen in a DoD 5015 type RMA.