From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:23:52 -0700
Sort of ironic that the cure for social media is MORE social media, only
this time an aggregator that peeks into ALL OF YOUR PROFILES (with your
approval, of course) and extracts bits to put them in a new location that
you can view and clean out.

But isn't the reason many folks use multiple social media venues is they
DON'T want to cross streams? (if you remember from Ghostbusters, you were
NEVER supposed to cross the streams!) I mean, some folks have/had MySpace
and used it for purely frivolous stuff and fun contacts, then some have/had
LinkedIn and used it strictly for business, then some have/had Plaxo and
used it for who-knows-what, then MANY have/had Facebook and seem to use it
mostly for 'social' stuff (but some get WAY to serious and political there),
and lots of people have/had Twitter, in fact some have multiple Twitter
streams (raise your hands!) using one for personal stuff and one for
professional/business stuff, and NOW many are getting Google+ and I don'
think ANYONE knows why yet- they're/we're just getting it... and there are
others that are less mainstream, or designed specifically fo rthose "on the
hunt/prowl"...

My point is... we have chosen to use these various venues independently for
specific reasons, and in some cases, have elected to "kill" the accounts,
even though intelligent among us KNOW that data lives on and can be
found/resurrected by anyone with the desire and means to do so.  SO... WHY
would you want an account with a service that offers to gather content from
your various sources that you have elected to keep independent by choice,
and WHY would you provide this one provider the keys to your social
networking Kingdom?  Obviously, you'll have to provide all of your log in
names and passwords for it to access your accounts and OBVIOUSLY that
information is all going to be stored somewhere (remember the note above
about accounts you've chosen to kill?) and that means someone/s will have
the ability to access it.

I think I'll pass... I like the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid)
better than the MISS principle (man I'm security stupid)

Larry
*Larry Medina
Danville, CA
RIM Professional since 1972*