From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:26:34 -0400
>>email presents a case unlike nearly every other type of content
because, like a fish, it wasn't designed to live, much less be managed,
outside its special container, it's
fishbowl or email system. <<

What a great analogy! I will go you one better: A fish was actually not
designed to live in a fish bowl. It was designed to live in an ocean, or
a lake, or a stream. A fish bowl is a human-created device that allows
humans to make fish portable, and to keep them where we want them, and
to view them where and when we want them. And we must maintain the fish
bowl's environment or the fish will die before its time.

So too with email, we must create the fishbowl which allows the fish to
live and retain all of its attributes outside of its environment of
origin, but allows us to keep it where we want it, and find it, and view
it when we want or need to. One problem, and maybe the first the world
needs to find an answer to, is that there are so many fish, that people
in their office claim they do not have time to make a new bowl for each
and every fish. Your choices currently are to make workers create a new
bowl for every fish, or toss them all into a big bucket that has search
capabilities, and hope the search parameters hook the particular fish
you're looking for.

Personally, I don't have an answer to that.

Gary Link, CRM
Pittsburgh, PA