From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:59:51 -0400
Gary Link said:  "One thing this press release does not do is define
information governance. From an RM perspective, would it be accurate to say
that information governance is the policy-level portion of an RM program?"
Hi Gary,

I'll offer my personal opinion of what Information Governance is, and how RM
fits into it.

Information Governance relates to a much broader set of goals than
traditional RM/RIM.  RM is a *part* of IG, but certainly does not represent
or address all of the concerns an organization must deal with in order to
truly manage its information as business assets and/or liabilities.

Information Governance relates to the idea that to truly manage information
across an enterprise it requires a much more strategic view of information
use, information risk and outside forces that have a stake in the
organization's information (regulators, shareholders, customers, archivists,
etc.).

Yes, IG relates to the policy layer of RM, but only to the point of figuring
out how RM fits in with the rest of IG such as information privacy and
security, corporate transparancy and accountability, information
availability and access, etc.  Sure, the RM program can contribue to
information integrity, compliance success, and contribute to an
organization's ability to reduce its information-related cost and risk
through proper and defensible retention and disposition, but RM is only part
of the answer.  Just thinking about information from the perspective of
retention and disposition of official records and identification of
non-records isn't nearly enough in today's business environment.

In my opinion, RM's (as a profession, not necessarily any specific
professional)  inability to fully address all of the good/bad that
information can represent to an organization is why we have struggled to get
that elusive seat at the table; and for those that got to the table but
weren't asked back ... I think it's likely because the people at
the table were left hungry.

ARMA's Generally Accepted Recordkeeping Principles (GARP) and associated
Maturity Model for Information Governance are the RM's (the professional and
the profession) best path to competing and achieving at the IG level.  If
you aren't familiar with GARP yet, I highly recommend you get reading (
www.arma.org/garp).  There is a good amount of material there including
general information, webinars, articles, online courses, a "GARP health
check" self-assessment tool, etc.  Plus, there will be at least seven
sessions at conference directly related to GARP if you will be in DC next
month, two of which I will be leading (the GARP roundtable and a panel with
EMC Corp and Autonomy on exactly the topic of this thread).

I'd love to hear others' opinions about the relationship between RM/RIM, IM,
IG, KM, GARP ... thoughts?

Julie

(Full disclosure - I am on the Board of Directors for ARMA Int'l and the
Chair of the GARP Steering Task Force.  However, as offered at the beginning
of my message, all of the above comments are my personal opinion and may not
necessarily reflect those of ARMA or the GSTF.)

--
Julie J. Colgan, CRM

http://twitter.com/juliecolgan
http://www.linkedin.com/in/juliejcolgan