From:
Angel Ramos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:51:52 +0000
Joe, Julie and Gary,
Information Governance (IG) has always seemed to me to be the emperor's new synonym for RIM with more seats at the records committee table for IT.  IT, IT Security, E-Discovery, and Compliance concerns reach into protection and integrity, accessibility and transparency, accountability and compliance, retention and defensible disposition.  But aren't those concerns the world according to GARP?

Julie Colgan asked "to hear others' opinions about the relationship between RM/RIM, IM, IG, KM, GARP ... thoughts?"  Joe Settanni argued that IG covers operational excellence.  I agree IG covers BPM and operational excellence.  However, Gordon Hoke made the argument (http://content.arma.org/IMM/ColumnsWebExclusives/columnwebexclusivetenyearsafter.aspx or http://bit.ly/hcV9jU) that ISO 15489 covers GARP gaps of risk management and continual improvement of business processes.  I agree that IG operates more at the policy level than RIM.  Therefore, IG is a subset of a Panglossian RIM-as-it-is-envisioned, but RIM is not a subset of IG.

As far as Knowledge Management (KM), RIM represents the recorded knowledge of current and past agents (members, employees, third parties acting on behalf) of an organization.  KM represents (1) unrecorded knowledge of current agents, (2) recorded knowledge of current agents/systems, and (3) recorded knowledge of past agents/systems of an organization.  Therefore, RIM is a subset of KM, but KM is not a subset of RIM...until the day we can supplement ECM with wetware content management tools.  Of course, that will never happen in the EU.

Just my personal opinion,
Angel Ramos, CRM
Canonsburg, PA