From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:50:36 -0500
Glad to see the records are finally imaged and indexed and from an earlier
story, they seem to have determined how many of the records and burials may
be suspect.  Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

http://goo.gl/Ix13g

But what is STILL confusing to me is Where has NARA been in all of this?
Arlington National Cemetery is administered by the Department of the Army,
which means the records ARE Federal Records and they must be Permanent
retention.

The article above states "...utilizing its own Nez data management platform,
was selected to package, receive, inventory, track, scan, index, perform
quality control (QC), and return to the government all original documents in
their original order and accompanying electronic files..."   Which sounds as
if there was a proprietary system used for this (Nez), and there is no
mention of file format the data was stored in... but how does this comply
with 36CFR and ensuring these Permanent records are managed in a DoD 5015.2
v3 compliant system?

And during the whole story, NARA has been silent on the subject.  When the
AOTUS ran his blog post on the documentary "On Hallowed Ground" and asked
"What do you think is the most interesting story of Arlington National
Cemetery?"  I asked about it, and received no response
http://blogs.archives.gov/aotus/?p=1914

Who provided oversight when the contract was issued for this work to be
performed and provide specifications for format of the files and indexing
data to ensure these could be ingested into NARA's ERA?

As I said initially, I'm exceptionally glad to see the work has been done,
but was it done to meet the eventual requirements, of is there the potential
that it will need to be converted and could suffer some scrambling again?

Larry