From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:42:19 -0500
Alfaro, Vladimir <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am seeking assistance with respect to which audit trails we should have
set to on within our ECM app.  Two weeks ago we started our upgrade to DCTM
6.7 and one of the issues we have in our current app is that the audit trail
performance is atrocious.  By atrocious I mean that it takes several minutes
to view/access the audit trail for a particular record.  I have been told
that the reason why this is happening deals with the way the audit trails
were set in our current app - that is we have all or most of the audit trail
modules set to on to keep track of object and custom types, including
various app jobs, etc.

>So, from a RM and compliance perspective (our main drivers) what audit
trails should we be managing?   The ones I can think of right away are:

>Audit trails to show when a record was accessed, who accessed, and what
operations were performed. This would include User Name, Date, Read,
Edit/Write, Copy, Move, Delete.

>What other audit trails should I consider?

WOW... talk about an "It Depends" kinda question!!

I think you should very carefully weigh any changes you might make to what
you're keeping now and determine any impacts to keeping less in the future.
 If you've ever had any legal actions that have called your existing audit
info into question or use and then you water down what you're keeping... you
may need to answer some questions as to why the change was made.

"Audit trails" by nature are cumbersome and if you are making numerous
changes to your content, it may be wise to track them all.  The best course
of action might be to make a list of all the points you are collecting info
on, determine how frequently you're assessing the changes to content (and
why), then ask the organizations requesting the audit info what they feel
they can live without.  If its' minimal, do a cost benefit analysis and then
make your decision what (if anything) you'd want to turn off.

Maybe you don't know who "viewed" the majority of your content, unless it's
under a destruction moratorium, or if its sensitive, confidential, PII, etc.
and you could limit that setting.  But I'd think you wouldn't want to mess
with check-in/check-out, change, copy, print, delete... or anything else
that impacts what something looked like or where its located and who was
involved.

Larry