From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:38:58 +0000
As you wonder what might be relevant to this group about this article which is about the new paradigm created by Apple and Microsoft Metro, be sure to read through to the end for this nugget - which to me points to a true opportunity - because the concept of objects like documents in databases is exactly what a content management system is all about.

"at the core of it is a database-driven world in which the user's data—songs, videos, documents, plans, game scores, social identities—are in a soup accessible through all their devices. For Apple users, their information is accessible from apps which are mostly isolated. For Microsoft users, there's a single sea of information that can be navigated in many different ways. The latter is potentially more powerful than Apple's approach, but that's the subject for another article.

The important thing is that the Finder and the Explorer are on their way out, that the desktop metaphor is about to die.

I know that some people are afraid about this change. They come out with excuses like "I want control of my files!" Or "professionals can't use this!" The truth is that they don't realize they have changed already. I remember the debate about digital music. For the first few years, people hated the idea of a program like iTunes using a database to manage their music. They wanted to manually manage files and folders!

How amazingly stupid that idea was? How can you manage music or pictures or videos or anything—in this age of tens of thousands of objects and resources living in your hard drives and the Internet—without a database? Wanting to do that is as moronic as those who in the first days of the desktop metaphor wanted to keep using a command line.

This, the death of the desktop metaphor, is just the last step of getting rid of an antiquated way to manage our information. Good riddance. Because it was never designed to support the gigantic amount of information that we have to deal with every day. We've changed. Our information has changed. The Mac, the desktop—has to die."

http://gizmodo.com/5885803/the-end-of-mac

Mary Hilliard, CRM | AMD Corporate Records Manager