From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:35:50 -0500
While I conceptually agree with the article in that the manner in which we
(as users) approach accessing and using information is changing, the whole
"End of Mac" and "Death of the Desktop" thing is rather sensational, dontcha
think??

How many of us still say "Can you pass the Kleenex" or "Make me a Xerox of
that" or other similar trade or product named terms that have little or
nothing to do with what we really need/want?

I'm sure we will still be referring to the Mac or the PeeCee or the Desktop
for quite awhile, and many of those around us will know EXACTLY what we're
talking about... and we'll still be referring to objects, content, and
information assets as "files" AND plenty of people will know EXACTLY what
we're talking about.

It will probably take a generation before the terminologies will be
completely purged from our vocabulary.

Larry

(Oh and it was apparent this writer was a PeeCee kinda guy, NOT a Mac person
based on this comment:

"For Apple users, their information is accessible from apps which are mostly
isolated. For Microsoft users, there's a single sea of information that can
be navigated in many different ways. The latter is potentially more powerful
than Apple's approach, but that's the subject for another article."

To think anything related to locating information in a M$ Windows
environment is easier than in a Mac OS environment is ludicrous)