From:
John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:36:49 -0500
I absolutely agree that some case files are extremely important
historical documents.  I've had occasion to see some examples from the
files of Thurgood Marshall, and I thought it was an exceptional
opportunity to peek into history.   That may even be true when the
subject matter is pretty mundane. There's a collection of letters
between an English husband and wife dating back to the 1500s in which
they chitchat about their daily doings when they are apart.  I've read
parts of it, and if you're interested in history, and the lives of
people in the past, it makes very interesting reading indeed.

That said, a couple of points: First, it's only a small fraction of case
files that have that quality, as is the case with virtually any kind of
record. Your average contract negotiation, divorce or other legal action
will be extremely routine, and contain virtually nothing that's terribly
interesting or distinguishable from other cases of its kind.   I should
think that an archivist contemplating taking possession of a mass of
legal files would want to do some pretty careful cherry picking in order
to find the things that are either historically important, factually
interesting or otherwise noteworthy.

Second, I don't think that was ever proper for a lawyer to divulge the
confidences and secrets of their client, even 100 years ago. That's a
duty that is as old as the legal profession, which as we know is the
second oldest profession in the world. I think that a few things are at
work here: First I think that when the file gets to a certain age people
tend to think the rules don't apply anymore, even though I've never seen
any ethics authority of any age from any place that states that there is
a time limit. Second, these archival accessions are often the case of
somebody's executor trying to figure out what they should do with old
case files after the lawyer dies and isn't in a position to advise them
on ethics matters. If the executor is not a lawyer themselves, they're
probably not thinking about these things. And, back in the old days, I
think it was the tendency for prominent lawyers to regard themselves as
historical figures of a sort, and rather above these mundane
considerations and for others to see them likewise. So, the combination
of factors tended to cause folks to arrive at the conclusion that the
client file had somehow evolved from a client file to a generally
historical document subject to different rules.

As far as a public policy of turning them into public records goes,
there's probably something to be said for that. In a lot of places in a
lot of circumstances, classified documents are declassified after some
period of time during which it is presumed that everybody that would be
personally involved in or embarrassed by the events documented has died.
Thus, in Great Britain, they've just in the last few years declassified
a great many sensitive documents relating to World War II, much to the
delight of historians. You could certainly do something of the same sort
with lawyer case files by passing the needed law and shielding lawyers,
archivists and others from liability, but I don't think anybody has in
this country.
--
Best regards,

John