From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:05:31 -0500
Good morning (afternoon to us here in the eastern part of the country) Blake:

I'll give you a bit of what I can remember as a corporate and municipal records manager along with a bit more info on the topic that comes to mind.

At my current client (a small US Government Agency) records disposition files are part of the Administrative Records Series, a part of the Admin Bucket.  They are kept for seven years after the end of the fiscal year in which the records were destroyed or transfered to the National Archives.  Federal Government-wide, for agencies that follow the NARA General Records Schedules the retention period is six years from the date of transfer or destruction.

Where I worked as a Municipal Records Administrator the retention period is three years after destruction.

I do not remember the retention period for the organization where I was a corporate records manager, but it was likely somewhere in the range of the others I have noted.  In this position we kept three different types of certificates of destruction.  I will also note that our storage and destruction vendor (on and off-site) was that very very large records management vendor...

The first type of certificate was for those records stored off-site at the vendor locations.  It was detailed to the box level and in some cases we could linked that back to more detailed information depending what the particular department kept.

The second was the certificates for the on-site destruction every two weeks (materials put in locked consoles/cans).  This was just a number of cans/consoles by department.  It gave me also a reading of how full the cans were.  We used this volume information to report to the jusisdictions where we had to document recycling.  Much of what was disposed of here was likely non-records.  Working files with PII or similar information.

The third type was a home-grown form for departments that had volumes records kept on-site that never went to vendor storage prior to reaching the end of the required retention period.  It gave us date range, volume disposed of, and record series/type.

The first and third types also had audit trails of those who had reviewed and approved the destruction.  I had final sign off on all authorizations of these.

Hope this helps!

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
www.twitter.com/tchernik