From:
Ralph Better <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:53:00 -0800
I was out looking for some letters to possibly put behind my name and I
tripped across the CIP. Can anyone possibly explain to me waht this is
supposed to do for a Records Professional. Seems like a remedial course
designed to bring an IT person in to the light of civilization, butonly to
a limited extend. In addition, I can't see any IT person lowering
themselves to take the test. Any RM worth their spit would shake their
their head and wonder why they woulod shell out $265.00 for it. I don't
know about any other RM, but I ca think of a lot of other things to waste
my money on. Maybe if I was a vendor I would have a different perspective.
Whoever designed it needs to sit down with a "real" records manager and
tailor it to our needs. I could be wrong, it's happened before at least
once, but in this case I don't think so. Maybe I will take the CDIA. Get a
bonus and then maybe give AIIM some money. Maybe AIIM is broke and needs a
revenue stream or something. No minimum requirements to sit?
 Qualifications

There are no mandatory requirements, but AIIM recommends candidates to have
a minimum of three years experience and increasing responsibility in one or
more topical areas, or a bachelor's degree in an information
management-related discipline (library science, information technology,
information security, etc.) plus one year of experience. The certification
is open to anyone; it is not necessary to be a member of AIIM to take the
exam.

WOW.

I can see where this will really impress the boss and raise the
appreciation of the concept of Records Managers as professionals (sarcasm
for those that can't read between the lines.

Well I guess I will go back to lurking now. I hope all you folks in tornado
alley are alright. We are praying for you

Ralph Better