From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 22:33:02 -0800
I've been around this Listserve for almost 20 years now. I have participated to varying degrees over that time. I think I've earned my stripes here as one of the more senior members of the List and the profession, so I'm going to speak my mind. I'm always bothered when someone shows up for the first time, without introduction, without any bona fides, and trolls up a post like this. It is unprofessional and immature. For the record, there is no person named "Ralph Better" who is shown as a member of ARMA, is listed in LinkedIn, or appears anywhere else on the Internet. There is a "Ralph Better" on Facebook who appears to have once been an aficionado of Mafia Wars. I would conclude that this is a pseudonym for someone who chooses not to identify him or her self.

I'm not going to defend the CIP or AIIM. I have publicly stated my opinion of the CIP and, by comparison, the CRM, both of which I presently hold. I think AIIM had an opportunity to execute the CIP examination process more effectively. I think the ICRM could have modernized itself more quickly and obviated the need for AIIM to create the CIP. Read more on my blog if you wish: http://cunninghamabovetherim.blogspot.com/

At the end of the day, the decision of a professional to pursue a certification has to be based upon both a personal need and a perception of value. There are many competent records managers who have chosen not to pursue the CRM. A certification is a single element of the picture formed of a professional. I would hope that at 25 years of experience in this profession, a Master's degree, published articles, and a number of blog postings, my possession of, or lack of possession of, an information management certification would not be the sole determinant of whether or not I get a job in this profession. That said, for the young or new profession, a certification is going to be a mark of professional focus and interest and a very basic level of competency. As I transition my career into information security, I know that my CRM and CIP (and, for that matter, the FAI designation) are virtually worthless to an employer wanting to hire an information security
 professional. So I will likely need to have a CISSP or a CISM in order to establish a base level of competency and professional focus.

I took the CIP exam solely because I was not going to discuss it without having had the experience of taking the exam. I passed the examination and am entitled to show that credential if I choose to do so. It is not my identity and it is not the measure of my worth in this profession. As I stated, I am leaving this profession and moving into information security. I'll continue to participate in the RIM profession, but mostly as I seek to evolve the profession into a more integrated and strategic part of Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC).

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, CIP, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell