From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2012 16:22:49 -0700
> Good Friday morning to my fellow records and information management
> professionals.

Good Monday evening to you.

I would like your opinion on the following matter. Do
> you keep a record of destruction?
I recommend you do.

If so, what information/metadata do
> you keep about the records you (or your vendor) have destroyed?

I have seen a a range of information retained. It depends on how detailed your process is. I recommend you maintain file folder level documentation of the records destroyed, at least throug the audit period. Bill Roach disagrees. I recall that he felt that series level documentation is satisfactory ( I might be mis-remembering the conversation was a long time ago).

How long do you keep records of destruction?
Archival

How about certificates of  destruction - in many cases the certificates provided by shred vendors
> are vague; they provide a date and tonnage, but you are unable to trace
> the certificate back to a specific record or boxes of records?

Recommend you schedule all the records as a complete series.

There are reasons for keeping the records forever and there are arguments against.
I think keeping the records helps with proof of process.
Archiving the series reflects a core function of the department
Anytime you use the term archival you will generate conversation on this list.

Chris Flynn