From:
"Creamer, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:47:40 -0400
Subject: Conflict Checking & Reporting

When we do a conflict check, we place a query against the database or
databases we routinely search, and send a consolidated custom report to
an assigned partner for review and resolution as part of the workflow
related to client/intake. If attorneys want additional detail about a
specific client or matter, they could ask the Conflicts Group for more
information, they could call the matter partner, contact the Library, or
they could go into the Records System (ARM), which is available on every
desktop. This has been the basic practice for many years.

Recently the more senior partners in our Risk Management Committee have
been asking that we provide, for any hit at the client level, a list of
all the active matters for that client hit.  They specified that it be
provided to them either within the custom report we already have, or as
an addendum to that report.

Because the design of this custom HTML report was such a bear, I've been
reluctant to re-design the report and get the system to display the
matters associated with a client hit within the report, so we've been
providing it as an addendum, which means doing a separate report for any
client hit thru the Records System (ARM), and then attaching that matter
listing to the conflicts report.

This is not the best solution, but it is simple, relatively quick,
doesn't require any I.T. Application Team support, or other resources.
Also, we may need to replace our Conflicts software in a year or two,
assuming there is something in the market place by then that is better,
so I've been reluctant to put any more time or money into what we have
now.

My questions to the legal managers of the group are:

1) Do you provide a listing of all the matters related to a client level
conflict of interest hit to your partners as part of a conflict search?
I'd like to know how prevalent that is.

2) Do you provide that as a separate report, or as part of a single
report containing conflicts search hits as well as these lists of
matters?

3) For those who do not provide lists of active matters related to
client level hits to partners as part of your conflicts process, is that
because they haven't asked for it? Or because there are in your Firm, as
in ours, so many easy ways to get this information, it hasn't seemed to
be a need? Other reasons?

Thank you

William Creamer
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
Records Manager
New York NY 10019
Number Of Attorneys : 600
Number Of Offices : 8
(212) 728-3448
-

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This email message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain.  Email messages to clients of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP presumptively contain information that is confidential and legally privileged; email messages to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged.  Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it.  If you have received this message in error, please forward it back.  Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is a limited liability partnership organized in the United States under the laws of the State of Delaware, which laws limit the personal liability of partners.