From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 12:08:11 -0400
Hi William,

In my last in-house gig, we did include the list of active matters for a
client name that was a hit on a search.  The attorneys needed to be able to
see, quickly and in the same decisional context, what the firm was actively
working so they could determine if there was a conflict or not, and if so,
what to do about it.  Decision points included how much WIP there was, aged
A/R, last time billed, nature of engagement, total engagement revenue,
length of client relationship, etc.

Yes, they had access to the matter information from their desktop via the
database, but asking them to go somewhere else and do the contextual
mapping between what was on the database and what was included in the
conflict report wasn't the best use of their time (and some were frankly
not great at it and/or wouldn't do it in the first place).

That information was included as part of the overall report, not an
addendum, but that was just how we had it set up.  In your case, as you've
described, I think an addendum is fine, so long as the attorneys know to
look for it and know how to read it.  I would also be reluctant to spend a
lot of time, effort or money to do a custom report for a system that is
likely on its way out.

Hope that helps.

Julie

--