From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:50:17 -0700
I'd be careful with any sort of electronics purchase that involves an "open box". Those tend to be returns which may or may not have been properly repaired or refurbished. You may inherit someone else's problems. There's generally a big difference between "open box" and "factory refurbished". "Open box" is generally just that, so if the device was flakey or not working properly, it becomes your problem. Sure, a lot of times people just decided they didn't like the device, but it is usually a warning sign.  As noted by someone else, you're effectively getting an Android tablet with a keyboard, which means that you'll have trouble with Office applications, if that's what you're really trying to do. If you just need to collect text for the great American novel, a netbook would probably meet your requirements.

I think you need to examine your requirements and then see what sort of device makes the most sense. A netbook gives you a small form factor, but that is at the expense of power and capability. You really want to hit a computer store and poke at a few to see how the keyboard fits you.

Here are some other options:

A smartphone. While the data plans are sometimes a little daunting, a smartphone can meet the need for reading basic email and making short replies. It is also "always connected", so you get real time updates and email.

Smartphone with "lapdock": A Motorola Mobility Atrix with the optional lapdock becomes a thin laptop, but you're really just getting a bigger screen and decent keyboard for an Android phone. That could meet your needs. Cost is a problem. The lapdock gets you into laptop pricing when you factor in the phone, but it gives you a nice option.

Tablet: I have an iPad2 and love it. The price point is akin to a low end laptop, but for dealing with email and making short replies, it is perfect. I have wi-fi only and bought a tethering plan for my smartphone if I need connectivity when there is no wi-fi. The tablet is generally very versatile (you'll find yourself watching TV with the tablet at your elbow) and will get much more work than a netbook. YMMV, but that's my experience. Arguably you could go with an Android tablet or even something like the Kindle Fire.

Tablet with keyboard: There are a number of combinations here, including some padfolios that hold the tablet and a wireless keyboard. This may solve the need for a "real" keyboard, while retaining a smallish form factor.

Laptop: Looking at my current Micro Center ad, I see name brand low end Windows laptops in the $350 to $450 range. While that is on par with an iPad or many other tablets, it does give you the ability to have full MS Office functionality and compatibility. And with a tethering-enabled smartphone, you can have internet connectivity.

The requirements that I would consider are:

Keyboard
Wi-fi
MS Office compatibility
Ease of creating / storing / transferring a document
Local storage capacity
Battery life / time to charge
Form factor / weight / size
Versatility
Boot time / hybernate / shut down time

You also want to consider your use cases:

Email -- need ability to have offline storage, wi-fi, or a cellular data plan
Word Processing / MS Office -- compatibility with your office applications; also ease of transfer of completed documents
Internet -- wi-fi or cellular data plan
Music -- compatibility with iTunes or your MP3 player
Games -- your requirements
Reading / e-books -- Kindle or similar compatibility
Other options -- video streaming, video conferencing, camera, navigation
Other factors -- cost, durability

At some point you make compromises, but I am finding that a wi-fi enabled tablet and tetherable smartphone combination makes the most sense for me. If I can avoid hauling a laptop around, I do so. I'm thinking about trying to optimize my presentations for the iPad so I can put presentations on my iPad and plug that into the projector. That will still take a little work (yeah, I know, get a Mac). I hate to say it, but I sip a little more of Steve Jobs' Kool Aid every day.

My expectation is that about the time the iPad 5 or 6 shows up, I'll be ready to switch to an cellular data tablet that has cell phone capabilities. Since I generally use a Bluetooth device with my cell phones, it seems logical to go with a combination device, although the form factor is kinda hard to tote around all the time.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM, CIP, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell