From:
Laura Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:49:01 -0700
When training anyone, Records Analyst or any other person, be clear and concise, share your knowledge, don't throw them at the wolves, introduce them to tools and literature that will help them.  Slowly give them more difficult tasks.  Access their abilities and initially give them tasks that will give them wins.  Do not be abusive.  If the person is not the right fit for the job, guide them to some other arena if possible.  This sounds like a lot but if they have any brains and initiative that should do it.

I am becoming increasingly disheartened by the lack of professionalism in the replies on this listserv.  Most of the comments are pithy and shed no positive light on the profession.  Yes humor is okay for a while but...

Wow,

Great care should be given anytime you are grooming anything never more
than a Records Analyst. Keep in mind you should always brush agains the
grain. Go slow find out what they like. positive reinforcement is critical.
always provide positive feedback, treats help. When water is pooring down
on them make sure you protect their eyes. Your role is make sure they have
as positive an experience as possible. One mistake and they will be
skittish for some time. Be careful with their teeth. Your anaysts think
they can chew anything. make sure their food is platable, not to soft, not
to hard. You want their teeth to get strong over time. Young analyst have
sharp teeth and will want bite. Let them dull over time, hopefully without
damaging others to much.

Begin training with due caution. Young analysts are hyperactiv eand will
charge all around. Reign them in. Let God be your guide, never give them
more in life than they can handle. Don't coddle them. Keep close attention
on their progress and keep challenging them or they will get bored. A bored
analyst is a receipe for disaster. Keep them busy.

Know your limitations. You will be responsible more the majority of their
growth in the profession. However few of us, Larry and Bill excluded, know
all there is to know about the profession. That being said, direct the
young analyst towards training that will leverage your guidance. Fill in
the gaps. Be very careful that you gage their training correctly. DOn't
sign them up for CRM training when they should be doing CIP training, Start
them at the absolute botom remedial training and move them up as they show
their capability. Pay close attentio to apptitude. Some young analysts will
want to be CRM, when thier talent lies forms design.

Watch out for conferences, A very dangerous environment for an unescorted
analyst. Always keep a close eye on the analyst in a group environment,
Some do very well in an environment like a ARMA conference, some develop
reputations (I didn't mention you specifically peter) oops I guess I
did.Luckily Ray keeps tabs on you.

Bottom line grooming a young analyst is a great responsibilty. In the old
days it was more of shared responsibilty. Today because of the economy and
other societal forces it is increasingly an individual load.

Good luck

]Chris Flynn