From:
Julie Colgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:37:51 -0400
Hi Stephen,

As the Chair of the GARP Steering Task Force for ARMA (the group that lead the development of this tool), I am pleased to hear of your interest in the product!

I completely understand the desire to "see under the hood" a bit so will offer a few comments here.  For anyone interested in the GARP Assessment tool and who has additional questions beyond what I add here, I encourage you to review the ARMA website pages devoted to the tool in detail (if you haven't already, the address to the landing page is www.arma.org/GARP/assessment) and/or to contact ARMA HQ with your additional questions.

As to the Assessment questions, there are approximately 100 detailed questions in the Assessment, spanning all 8 principles.  The questions posed seek to measure critical program characteristics and components.  Each question has seven possible responses.  Five of the responses relate to the associated level of GARP maturity, and the other two allow for respondents to assign an "I don't know" or "this does not apply to me" response (both of which can be incredibly illuminating in and of themselves).

The results of the Assessment are presented to the assessor in formal/standard reports (which you can read about on the website), but in addition, and equally if not more valuable, the assessor has a results dashboard that displays a variety of result views and analysis tools that the assessor can use in developing custom reports via exporting to Excel, etc.  For example, you can lift highly relevant individual responses and include them in a memo to management to help highlight the point you want to make with more than just your voice.

Also, there is a great tutorial included with the tool that I strongly recommend you view prior to launching your first assessment.  It will guide you through the assessment planning phase which is critical to ensuring you end up with the insight you are seeking.

I fully intend to purchase and use the GARP Assessment both internally at my company and with my clients.  It is an incredibly detailed tool that will allow for flexible deployment as well as provide robust insight, setting the stage for targeted remediation efforts.

I am happy to chat off line, and/or encourage you to reach out to ARMA HQ with any specific questions.

Regards,
Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM

DISCLAIMER:  All comments are my own and are not intended to speak on behalf of ARMA International.

Sent from my iPad