From:
Lee Watt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:21:53 -0600
Thanks for your well spoken words.

M. Lee Watt, CRM

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sam McCollum
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GARP Assessment Tool

Steve,

     I have been involved in the RIM field for more then 28 years and a CRM since 1992. I also served for a brief period on the Education Committee for ARMA International. I have to admit that in all that time, I wasn't aware of the SIM or ARMA situations that you referred to in your email. Perhaps part of the reason was that I am a Canadian and was not as close to the action as others were.
    My introduction to Strategic Information Management was a natural progression from Records Management (with a focus on hard copy records) to Information Management (as our organization turned their focus to the large volume of electronic information that they were dealing with), and then to Information Governance (as a reaction to ever increasing litigation, e-discovery, and audits/compliance requirements).
   That corporate refocus lead to my transfer from RIM operations to a new Information Governance role about 18 months ago. The introduction of the GARP Principles in 2011 was a very timely lifesaver for me, and I like to think I am one of its most ardent supporters both inside and outside of ARMA. Implementing both the GARP Principles and the Maturity model for Information Governance has lead me to the concept of Information Management strategy and the design of strategic tools to bridge the gap between GARP and the deliverables of strategic information management plans and roadmaps. All of this activity occurred while I was the manager of Strategic Information for a large utility corporation in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
    I want to assure the listserve members that I am not advancing any hidden agenda. My desire in posting my previous email was to identify a simple process that compliments the GARP concept and helps RIM professionals within organizations to create strategic IM deliverables that senior management can understand and accept.
    I believe that RIM professionals can only benefit from understand the different roles they can play in both the operational areas of Records Management and Information Management, and the strategic role they can play in Information Governance. I apologize for any unintended offense I may have given to my respected members of the listserve.

Sam McCollum, MBA, CRM, ERMm

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Steve Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Larry san; I remember all that very well.  Including some ARMA folks
> telling me that I, whether I realized it or not or wanted to
> acknowledge it, was a leader in the profession and should get behind the SIM
> movement.   My view was that SIM was developed in relative secrecy and
> there were attempts to ram it down our throats; and use our
> association funds to do so.  Followed up quickly by misinformation
> spread about attendance figures at the ill fated SIM conferences;
> followed up by ARMA's top hired administrator deceiving members about
> incorporation filings, etc.  There were also attempts to use ARMA's
> mechanisms for partisan political communications during that time frame.
>
> I thought that all those were more fuel to the fire to oust ARMA's
> Executive Director, which happened a few years later.
>
> RIM has always been strategic, and always will be.  We need not change
> our names and focus in order to sell more systems wrapped and marketed
> as total solutions.  Customers/practitioners (we) wind up with
> half-baked, warmed over systems that do not fulfill our needs; and
> ineffective training solutions that leave organizations' C levels
> scratching their heads and wondering about the professionalism of RIM
> practitioners.  The vendors count their money and then figure out new
> words and acronyms; knowledge, SIM, content.., what is next?
>
> Off the stump now..., my opinion is that we have a much better
> functioning ARMA now than then.  Much more stable too.  Standards
> setting; training members; networking; The World According To GARP;
> those are things in which I want ARMA to focus.  Guess what; that is
> what ARMA is doing.  We may have had to go through all that ten years
> ago in order to refocus our profession on the basics and then look forward through viable and sustainable lens.
>
> For the relatively simple days of BBQ sauce wars ...     The ARMA Annual
> Conference is in Chicago again this year.  I am once again in the
> Utilities sector...; deja vu all over again?  Maybe the breeze in
> Chi-town will not be as cold and cutting as it was in 1998; the Hawk was out.
>
> Best regards, Steve
> Steven D. Whitaker, CRM

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above, and may be privileged.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please reply to the sender immediately, stating
that you have received the message in error, then please delete this e-mail.
Thank you.