From:
Angela Fares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:14:07 -0500
In my opinion, the role of a records manager in the disposal process is to
manage both security and risk within acceptable limits.  It begins by first
establishing what you have and how long you have to keep it (and sometimes,
even HOW that information is kept and used).

Once it no longer has any historical, legal, or business value and all
retention requirements have been met, management of the end of the lifecycle
begins.  The role played in the disposal process may depend on whether
records management is centralized or decentralized.  Where it is
centralized, a records manager can take a very active role in verification
of records submitted for disposal, reconciliation with legal and tax
regarding issues that might change the retention period, and then secure
destruction of the records themselves.  In a decentralized environment, the
role of a records manager can still be very active, but with a different
approach.  Records Managers can provide consulting services and education
about the retention & disposal process, audit compliance to the retention
schedule (including exceptions) on a regular basis, creation of controlled
self-assessments for various departments to aid in preparation for internal
or external audits, and then advise on the destruction process and/or vendor
services to ensure that risk is being managed within acceptable parameters.
In addition, some departments may need assistance with building short term
and long term storage solutions (including data migration strategies).  A
Records Manager can also witness destruction, audit vendor processes, and
even provide destruction services where that is feasible.

Depending on the process the actual handover of records depends on the
destruction process itself.  If a vendor has been audited and you are
reasonably assured that the process is secure from the point where media is
handed over to the point of destruction, it may be as simple as putting the
media in a locked container in a secure area.  In a more complex process,
the Records Manager may need to establish (or help a department establish)
some control points to record what and how media was identified for
destruction as well as how it was managed until the actual destruction.

Warmest regards,

Angie Fares