From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:09:54 -0700
Hugh, just to point out that "cloud computing" does not necessarily mean
"public cloud computing". If an organization is using virtual servers, they
are using cloud technology - in this instance, a private cloud. In many
instances, cloud computing technology is utilized to distribute
applications within an organization or group of organizations. For example,
our State Archives is hosting TRIM utilizing public cloud technology and
making it available to local and state agencies. I read recently in
Government Technology where Orange County, Michigan is utilizing cloud
technology in a similar manner, only offering it across jurisdictions
nationally.

The application of cloud technology in virtual servers is a huge money
saver - we have seen reductions of $25K per year for maintenance of a
dedicated server down to approximately $5-$10K per year for a virtual
server. Note that these virtual servers can still be backed up in the same
manner a traditional server would be backed up - cloud technology simply
utilizes resources efficiently across multiple platforms in an easily
scalable manner that reacts to demand, as opposed to utilizing one
dedicated platform. A good analogy is the electrical grid, which
distributes resources in a similar manner.

Generally speaking, public cloud technology that is hosted by an external
partner (which appears to be the primary concern you raise) is being used
for specific applications: for example, employee applications (NeoGov), or
email (Google Apps). Your concerns are legitimate in these environments, as
the information generated by the given application is generally maintained
by the cloud provider (although it can be extracted in many cases). In my
opinion, this particular public cloud technology is currently the
technology we need to monitor closely for the potential of catastrophic
obsolescence - similar to the kind of rapid obsolescence early optical disk
systems were prone to. I think provider stability is a critical factor.

Public cloud technology is not being used as often for storage (at least by
businesses) - that is generally being maintained in house in a virtual
(private cloud) environment. This is one of the reasons why Iron Mountain's
efforts in this did not pan out. Most organizations, like Multnomah County,
are in fact utilizing hybrid clouds - selected use of public cloud for
certain applications, and use of private cloud technology for sensitive,
mission critical applications and storage.

Just wanted to clarify that all clouds are not the same, and that most of
the use of cloud technology right now is occurring "in-house".

--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program