From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:50:10 -0700
Well it is true that the weather is not uniform around the world. Those
clouds that threaten us in midwest, just produce rain in Seattle.

Keep in mind that "cloud" is simply a marketing term. It developed without
strict industry definitions although NIST has tried to put it in a box.
"Cloud" crept into our reality primarily due to the downturn in the
economy. IT tried for years to convince executives that they should simply
place all their informaition into databases. Costs, trepidation, and court
decisions kept leap from being made. Once the revenue dried up in many
organiazations dried up the wedge was driven home. Municipalities for one,
saw it as the only way to satisfy a level of acceptable compliance. IT
convinced them that they could capture the records and maintain them within
the limited budget realities. The courts hadn't caught up to the tech and
Records Managers were not in the room. Audit is waiting for the end of the
process and budget people, with their view of the world dictated reality.

There remains today a need to continue cost savings. Many are looking at a
way to leverage the tech. Get into the "cloud" a much more limited and
controlled way. It reminds me of imaging. the eagerness of executives to
"go paperless" at the turn of the century. The fact that they could not
afford meant that they ended up with limited implementations. Typically
they captured the AP process, showingt the eventual benefit of pushing the
solution enterprise wide. The reality is that AP lendsitself very easily to
an imaging solution. Other processes not so much, without some or even
significant re-engineering. So we end up with limited or targeted
implementations in a "cloud" environment. It is sold by applaying a term
like hybrid.

If it is raining, the river is rising and your only recourse is drop
everything and build an Arc, build the Arc. If you build the Arc it means
you have accepted the fact that you are going to lose most of what you
have. On the other hand you are going to keep that which is most important
to your survival into the future. If all you need to do is start
sandbagging, losing time, sleep, and body wieight then sandbag. The risk is
that if you really need an Arc you lose everything. That is why executives
make the big bucks. "cloud" as a macro solution is the Arc. Sandbagging is
a way to ride it out. Putting some of your best stuff on barge and
sandbagging is a hybrid solution. Keep in mind, the line to the barge may
break, and even if it doesn't you still need to find a way to get that
stuff back into a sound shelter later. If the building it wa sin was broken
up to build the dike you will have no place to put it after the flood. Then
you will need to find resources to build a place to put it. Given it is on
a barge it will have a low priority after the fact.

If you apply "cloud" it should be as a last resort, not a first solution.

Chris Flynn
Keep your powder dry