From:
Wayne Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 10:53:11 -0400
Larry said, "...if DOD 5015.2 v3 compliance is important to you for deploying
use of this product."

This question is fundamental to all deployments of RIM software, but it's one
that is ignored too often.  Just because the DoD certification is the most
stringent one doesn't mean that we have to use it in our organizations by
default, or DoD-certification means that it is the best software you can get.
Adding more security and controls to information handling necessarily reduces
the freedom and functionality of information use for day-to-day operations.  I
would conjecture that, unless your organzation handles extremely sensitive
documents (such as the Department of Defense does) then DoD-certified
software is a bad choice.  (I may be wrong, but the basic design of software
aspiring to the certification will be much different than the basic design of
software not holding itself to that standard.)

That's not to say that RIM software is best without security and controls; I'm
saying that it needs to be commensurate with the requirements of the
organization.  I don't know Wendy's information requirements - perhaps DoD-
certified software is the best choice in that case - but it is most definitely
worth investigating.

My two cents.

Wayne Hoff, CRM
Calgary, AB