From:
Tracy LaBenne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:56:00 +0000
Hello listserv members -

The information gained from this serv has been extremely helpful to me, so I'm posting my first inquiry and look forward to any insight you may be able to share.  I'm the Records Manager for Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, a law firm with over 230 attorneys and 400 support staff over a five state region.  Because of the growth of our firm, and the increased visibility of records management issues, we are taking a closer look at our RM policies and procedures.  We've decided to do an internal survey that will be directed to everyone in the firm to see what the level of awareness is in regards to records issues.  A sampling of the questions to be included are:

*         Are you familiar with the firm's Records Retention Policy?

*         Are you aware of the firm's Litigation Hold Policy?

*         Do you use the firm's engagement brochure with the engagement letter when bringing in a new client?

*         Do you automatically return personal files to the client at the close of a matter?

Our direction with this first survey is going to be fairly broad, and we hope that the answers will generate more surveys in the future.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has completed this kind of internal survey, including questions that you asked.  Please feel free to contact me on or offline.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tracy LaBenne
Records Manager
Steptoe & Johnson PLLC
400 White Oaks Boulevard
Bridgeport, WV 26330
O: 304-933-8321 F: 304-933-8183 C: 304-677-4279

www.steptoe-johnson.com<http://www.Steptoe-Johnson.com>

[cid:image001.png@01CD52D9.D9A59220]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: Recent revisions to IRS Circular 230 require that certain steps be taken by a tax advisor before his or her written tax advice may be relied upon to avoid IRS penalties. Those steps, which generally are time-consuming and result in substantial additional legal fees, were not undertaken in connection with any tax advice which may appear in this communication. Accordingly, this communication was not written or intended by the sender or Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed. Further, any written statement contained in this communication relating to a federal tax transaction or matter may not be used by any person to support the promotion or marketing of, or to recommend, any federal tax transaction or matter addressed in this communication.

Steptoe & Johnson PLLC