From:
"Enns, Lois" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:00:30 -0700
Hi Jennifer,

Based on my experience with both eDocs and Content Server, broken MS
Excel links are a common problem when files are migrated.

A link represents a fully qualified path or "address" on a network
server for a digital file. When an file is moved to another server, the
address changes, and the application (in this case MS Excel) can no
longer find the object because it has moved.

The problem is bigger than MS Excel files, because when a digital files
is moved, any links that are dependent on the fully qualified path
break. This includes files that are linked to other databases.

When we migrated 19,000 Risk Management files into Open Text, we created
and captured a unique ID for each file, and went back into our Claims
Management database and programmed in the new fully qualified paths for
the linked files. Even then, there were 200 files that we had to resolve
due to various exception problems. Tricky work.

This is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to entirely migrate
all of the files held on network drives.

Regards,
Lois Enns

LOIS ENNS  BA MISt | RECORDS MANAGER
CITY OF SURREY
Legislative Services Division
14245 56 Ave, Surrey, BC, Canada V3X 3A2
P 604 591-4554 | 604 591 8731 www.surrey.ca